Dear Hindell,

I’ve been a stay-at-home parent for the past few years. I am ready to end my marriage but I’m nervous about filing for divorce because I don’t have my own source of income. Am I likely to receive support from my spouse?


A Hardworking Homemaker

If there are children of the marriage you will likely be awarded child support and may also be entitled to alimony if the gross household income exceeds $250,000. Depending on the age of the children, the judge can attribute some income to you even though they are not actually earning any income. The amount attributed depends on education, work experience how long the parent has been out of the work force, the age and needs of the children.

Hindell S. Grossman, Esq.
Grossman & Associates, Ltd.
(617) 969-0069


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s